Monday, April 5, 2010

MOM & BABY SHANKS in Firenze

MY BEAUTIFUL MOM OUTSIDE THE MEDICI FORTRESS
I am so happy that my Mom and my little sister, Breanne, were able to come visit me in Florence. I have been very proud of myself for not yet becoming homesick because of my great love for my city, my teachers, and my life here in Florence, but seeing my Mom made me realize how much I really do miss home.
OUR SECOND NIGHT, DINNING AT PERSEUS
The second night in town, I wanted to take my Mom to a true Italian meal. Upon recommendation, we went to dinner at Perseus, a restaurant just a few blocks away from my pensione. It was so delicious! There was meat hanging from the ceiling and the Italian spices flooded the room! My Dad would have loved this place!
WALKING THROUGH THE STREET FAIR
WITH CAROLINE AND MY FAMILY
Kalea, Caroline, & I took Breanne and my Mom to a street fair across from the Ospedale degli Innocenti. It was a beautiful and warm afternoon as we walked though the square, sampling dried fruit and chocolate. The many flower stands made me so excited for the coming of Spring time!
LOVE YOU BREANNE
SISTER LOVE IN FLORENCE
WATCHING THE BEAUTIFUL CAROUSEL
Each night in Florence, we either walked by or sat in front of this beautiful carousel in Piazza Repubblica. It became a sort of very special place to my Mom, Breanne, and I. Starting with the night we popped a bottle of champagne to toast to our upcoming week together, to my last night with my Mom and Breanne where we sat a cried and we hugged each other.
LOVE YOU BREANNE!
GREAT STREET ARTISTS
I have grown up with a love for art because my Mom also loves art so sincerely. She was amazed by the beautiful street artists, which I was also extremely amazed with when I first got to Florence. But something I realized was that I am so used to the amount of art and talent in this city that I have begin to notice the presence of art as something that is part of daily life, another part of Florence that makes me never want to leave!
C'EST LA VIE, INDULGE!
AFTER SNEAKING ONTO THE CAROUSEL
After another amazing night with my Mom and sister, Caroline, Breanne, and I jumped onto the carousel for a quick ride while my Mom watched and laughed on the bench across from the ticket booth.
PLAYING AROUND ON THE CAROUSEL
BEING A GOOF WITH BABY SHANKS
MYSELF & MY LITTLE SISTER
My little sister is just about to graduate from Jesuit High School! She is getting so old!
CELEBRATING MY 21ST BIRTHDAY EARLY
For a very special celebration, my Mom and little sister sat with me by the carousel one last time to celebrate my 21st birthday early. My birthday is on May 14th but I will be in Edinburgh working for Lyon&Turnbull at a Private Showing before their art auction on May 19th. While I cannot say that I am the least bit disappointed in the way that I will spend the special day (dressed up working at an art showing, basically my dream come true) I was happy to be able to celebrate the day early with my Mom and my little sister also.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what great photos of such a wonderful, memorable time! The carousel was indeed special. I will always remember our time in Firenze! XOXOXO Mom

    ReplyDelete